Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sooners in Person

Going to a big university there is always a chance that some big athlete will be in your class or at the same place as you. They seem like royalty or even superstars at your college. Recently I have had the experience of getting to know many of them in person. Deep down we all know they are "just like us", but still they always seemed more special to me.

One of my best friends has her own apartment that I go to a few times a week; much of the basketball team lives right next to her. Big names like Willie Warren, Omar Leary, and Ryan Wright, and Tony Crocker live there. After seeing them so often it seems normal to say hi.

Not only have I gotten to know the basketball team, but the football team as well. After meeting two of them through a friend I have hung out with quite a few now. They are very fun to be around, and are very happy go lucky.

I also had the opportunity to meet Danielle Robinson who is a very sweet and humble young lady. We talked for about twenty minutes, and I came to learn that if you set the bar high and not let anyone get to you, dreams can come true.

Two other people that I had the privilege meeting were Whitney Hand and Landry Jones. It was pretty cool to talk to them because they have come so far. The reason I felt to write about meeting these athletes is because I feel that it is a part of the college experience. As I finish up my first year at Oklahoma I realize that it is great to be a Sooner instead of a Cowboy or Longhorn. Red will always be better than orange!


No comments:

Post a Comment